Shoes!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Maddux and Englishmen

There are not many reasons I continue to go to my Wednesday night six-till-forever class.

I guess one reason is that I’m a total grammar geek. Who else would be so excited to meet a linguist who uses “forthwith” in speech and makes it sound normal (even – dare I say – cool)? Ganglebot, I guess, and maybe Spaz-Tastic. Also, I don’t want to fail.


The biggest reason, though, is the Antimonolingualist. The AM and I are in the same group, which means we usually sit by each other, which means we spend class daring each other to conjugate a line of “The Jabberwocky” in all twelve verb tenses, writing each other notes like “ghuck you” and “that oghends me,” and working British-style negative modal progressives in sentences such as You ought not be orgasming right now. We tend to throw ourselves into the exercises, especially the ones for kids. It turns at least two hours of class into fun nerdy fun fun, rather than excruciating boredom.

This is for you, Antimonolingualist:


(It goes on this:)

3 Comments:

  • The grammar geek in me is loving thta license plate.

    By Blogger Jason, at 6:27 PM  

  • Erm . . .

    "thta" being the 17th century Dakota spelling of their word "hemblinken," which can usually be translated as "that." Or sometimes as "oatmeal." Go figure.

    By Blogger Jason, at 6:29 PM  

  • I always wondered where that song "Hemblinken for Breakfast" came from - now I can finally stop searching for the answer!

    By Blogger Liz, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home